3 Hints for Getting the Most from NetSuite ERP
NetSuite is a leading cloud-based enterprise resource planning (ERP), operations, and customer relationship management (CRM) platform. It is used by over 34,000 businesses across the world to manage core functions, such as accounting and finance, orders, procurement, inventory, and orders. Organizations can add CRM for sales, service, and marketing automation, as well as HR or PSA modules. Every module a business selects shares a common database intended to serve as the central data source for real-time information across all business areas. This provides the basis for insights into business health and growth.
Managing an ERP requires time and careful consideration. We have compiled a few of our team’s favorite tips for getting the most out of the NetSuite database.
Use Keyboard Shortcuts for NetSuite
There are many great keyboard shortcuts for NetSuite.
Faster Data Entry & Form Completion
No one wants to spend a lot of their time manually entering data. Using these shortcuts will help you get data entry and form completion done faster:
- Hold down Alt for PC or Option for Mac users and type a letter to move to a sub-tab (the letter will be underlined on the desired sub-tab)
- In transaction headers, press Enter or Return to save a transaction
- On the transaction line, press Enter to take you to the next line
- Press Tab to move to the next field or button
- Use the Spacebar to check or clear a check box
- In the Amount fields, you can enter numbers to calculate a total, such as 4+6
- Hold down Ctrl or Control for Mac users to select multiple choices in a list
Search Field Shortcuts
Using the global search bar (shortcut key Alt-G), you can restrict your search results to the desired record type using these shortcuts.
- Customer – “cus:” + your search term, for example, cus:jude will find all customers with names starting with jude
- Sales order – “so:”
- Invoice – “inv:”
- File – “fi:”
- Item – “it:”
- Expense report – “exp:”
- Phone call – “ph:”
- Estimate – “est:”
- Employee – “emp:”
- Contact – “co:”
- Vendor – “ve:”
- Warehouse transfer – “wa:”
To include more results, use a wildcard when searching. For example, emp:%smith will find all employees with the word smith in their name.
Adding a shortcut to a page
To take advantage of shortcuts, visit the page you want to add the shortcut to. On the more menu of the page, click “Add to Shortcuts.” The link will be the title of the page you shortcut by default, so be sure to edit this before saving it. If you’d like the page to open in a new window, select that option prior to saving.
NetSuite has also provided its own checklist of additional keyboard shortcuts.
Use Saved Searches
Saved searches allow NetSuite users to save a specific query and then use it repeatedly. This saves a lot of time when finding specific information by automating repetitive tasks. Saved searches also improve collaboration within the business. The search can be created and then shared across multiple departments, providing everyone with access to a consistent data set. Ultimately, saved searches help businesses make better decisions, faster by providing real-time data to monitor performance and track areas to improve.
To create a saved search:
Step 1: In NetSuite go to Reports > Saved Searches > All Saved Searches > New.
Step 2: Choose the type of search you’d like, such as vendors or accounts
Step 3: Add your criteria and results fields.
Step 4: Save and run the report.
Here’s another example of setting up a specific type of saved Search in NetSuite and saved search FAQs
Take NetSuite On the Go with You
Utilizing the NetSuite Mobile App allows users to access NetSuite data no matter where they are. This boosts productivity by making it easier to complete tasks, even away from the office. This is very convenient for managing and approving expense reports and updating data on accounts. In 2022, NetSuite improved the mobile experience with new capabilities, including improved search and a more convenient interface. Some other tasks that can be completed in the mobile app are:
- Managing expenses and attaching copies of receipts
- Logging and managing billable time
- Managing the NetSuite calendar
- Viewing, editing, and attaching files to records
- Logging inbound/outbound business calls from your mobile device and assigning them to companies and customers
NetSuite is a premier cloud-based ERP that continues to enhance its capabilities over time. We hope these tips help you get the most from it within your organization.